BRL-CAD is a powerful cross-platform open source solid modeling system that includes interactive geometry editing, high-performance ray-tracing for rendering and geometric analysis, image and signal-processing tools, a system performance analysis benchmark suite, libraries for robust geometric representation.
What is BRL‑CAD?
BRL-CAD is a powerful open source cross-platform solid modeling system that includes interactive geometry editing, high-performance ray-tracing for rendering and geometric analysis, a system performance analysis benchmark suite, geometry libraries for application developers, and more than 30 years of active development.
- Cross platform
The package is intentionally designed to be extensively cross-platform and is actively developed on and maintained for many common operating system environments including for BSD, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, and Windows among others. BRL-CAD is distributed in binary and source code form.
- Since 1979
Mike Muuss began the initial architecture and design of BRL-CAD back in 1979. Development as a unified package began in 1983. The first public release was made in 1984. BRL-CAD became an open source project on 21 December 2004. Learn More
- Trusted by U.S Military
BRL-CAD is choice of U.S Military. For more than 20 years, BRL-CAD has been the primary tri-service solid modeling CAD system used by the U.S. military to model weapons systems for vulnerability and lethality analyses.
- Free & Open
BRL-CAD respects your freedom so our code is open source under OSI approved license terms, which means you can customize it according to your needs.It also means that you will get this software Free of cost and we won't charge you ever for any update or support.
BRL-CAD Key Strengths:
All CAD packages are not alike. Among the many strengths of the BRL-CAD package are the following:
- BRL-CAD is open source! Don't like something? You can make it better.
- You can leverage decades of invested development. BRL-CAD is the most feature-filled open source CAD system available, with hundreds of years time invested.
- Your work will get used. BRL-CAD is in production use and downloaded thousands of times every month by people all around the world.
- You have the ability to create extensively detailed realistic models.
- You can model objects on scales ranging from (potentially) the subatomic through the galactic, while essentially providing all the details, all the time.
- You can leverage one of the fastest raytracers in existence (for many types of geometry).
- You can convert to and from a wide range of geometry file formats.
- BRL-CAD has a powerful, customizable scripting interface with many advanced editing and processing capabilities.